Beginning of the Silesia Mine is directly connected with searching salt reserves in area of Goczałkowice. First drilling, which had been done in this area, was called “Źródło Maria”, and it was financed by the Prussian Government. Drilling the hole to the depth of 361 meters was completed in 1860. During this process it was discovered that brine and coal seams were located in this area. Brine had been operated till 1920 and it was the beginning of health resort in Goczałkowice. The drill was destroyed during Silesian Uprisings. The initial recognition of geological section became a basis for exploration of mining deposits.

Beginning of twentieth century+

1900 r.

Austrian Company „Dziedzitzer Montangewertschaft Bielitz”, headquartered in Vienna and Bielsko, began drilling testing holes in area of Czechowice, to the depth of 400 meters, to find coal.

1902 r.

Building of ventilation shaft no. 1, with diameter of 4,2 meters, was started; 24 miners from Karvina were involved in that project; depth of 463 meters was achieved; Silesia Mine was created.

1905 r.

  • First granting of mining possessions: “IDA”, “ROSA”, “ADELA”, “ELIZA”, with total area of 146 ha, was given by Mining Authority headquartered in Moravian Ostrava
  • Shaft no. 2, with diameter of 4,6 meters, was built and to to the depth of 469 meters at a distance of 65 meters from ventilation shaft no.1.
  • Dr Hilf became a Director of the mine; headquarters was in Moravian Ostrava.
  • Seams between level I (288 m) and level II (411m) were excavated by using pillared system with roof collapses; wooden roof support was being used.
  • Steam hoisting machine was constructed in shaft no. 1 and shaft no.2.
  • Building of sorting plant with capacity of 110t/h was started; Seltners’ grates and screens were used
  • Screens room, piston compressor center, turbo-generators and main fans were operating

1907 r.

First professional mining organization called “Unia Górników” was created; first strike against dismissal people from work was organized.

1918 r.

“Zakłady Górnicze Silesia” SA from Czechowice became an owner of the mine; headquarters was in Moravian Ostrava.

1919 r.

  • New granting of mining possessions: “PAWEŁ”, “HUGO”, “JÓZEF”.
  • Deepening of the shaft no.3 started and it was completed in 1922. In top-shaft building, for the first time, air-chain hanger-ons were installed. Steal construction of the shaft with sheaves (with a diameter of 5,0 m) was an impressive result of engineering work.

1919-1939 r.

  • Mining works were conducted in 10 seams belonging to „orzeskie” layers. Exploitation was done by usage of different methods going to the borders of mining area, working usually in three or four seams on different levels. Exploitation going from the borders of mining area was already known. Development and extraction were done using wooden support.
  • During the work time of director Ferdynand Iwanek (1929-1939) the new longwall system (goaf method by usage of movable chocks) was introduced.
  • At the turn of the 30's first pole type cutting elements in longwall with air drive and movable pans with air motors were introduced at the mine.
  • Approximately in 1925 the horses transport was replaced by locomotives based on high-pressure air 175 atm.
  • In 1927 Sports Club with football section was established, in 1934 Canoeing Club was created.


1939-1945 r.

    • At the beginning of September 1939 the mine changed the name into „Grube Silesia-Dziedzitz” OIS and it was governed by Elektrowerke AG concern from Berlin. From 1944 till the end of the II World War the mine has been owned by Energieversorgung Oberschlesien-Bergwerkverwachtung Grube Silesia.
    • Starting from 1942 soviet prisoners have done works on the surface and underground (together 222 people).
    • 4 modern face cutting machines were used (chain and air cutting machines produced by the company „Eickoff”). Galleries roof support, type „Moll” was introduced. There was also introduced using roof suport type TH but to a minimum extent.

1945 r.

    • After II World War the mine was owned by Rybnickie Zjednoczenie Przemysłu Węglowego, and starting from 1950 r. by Jaworznicko-Mikołowskie Zjednoczenie Przemysłu Węglowego.
    • In the middle of February the mine’s production was at the level of 150t/day to achieve average annual production at the level of 471 t/day.
    • Mining Rescue Service Station was created.


1950 r.

Karol Banszel became a Director of the mine.

1952 r.

At the initiative of Vice-minister of Mining, Bolesław Krupiński, the first meeting regarding demethanization process was held. Silesia mine was selected as a first for using it in practice. Abovementioned topic was supervised in Silesia mine by Ludwik Kotula – later the Director of the mine.

1955 r.

Method „Cardox” was used in process of coal winning.

1956 r.

Process of preparing the project of technical demethanization of the mine was completed. West part at the level II, in seam 315, was chosen for methane drainage. Building methane pipeline started in 1955.

1957 r.

Three battery locomotives from English company „Cleyton” started their work.

1958 r.

  • Steel-components support type „Gerlach” was introduced to the longwall support individual.
  • In December there was a technical acceptance of installation and demethanization devices. Demethanization hall was equipped with two compressors from the Austrian company “Stragor”, two methane analyzers type “Magnus” and calorimeter “Junkers”.

1959 r.

Trial operation of demethanization’s station was conducted on 6th of February. In the pipes 80% of methane concentration was achieved. Starting from May gas was transferred to refinery located in Czechowice-Dziedzice.


1961 r.

Enlarging mining area up to 16,3 km2.

1963 r.

  • Construction of intake shaft no 4 in Rudołtowice, with diameter of 5,5m for material transport, was started. Deepening the shaft was done by using the freezing of rockmass.
  • Władysław Rus became the Director of the mine

1966 r.

Construction of ventilation shaft no 5 with diameter of 5,5m, in Rudołtowice was started. Freezing of Rockmass was used for construction works.

1967 r.

The new demethanization hall equipped with 3 rotary compressors „Wittig” German production, started its operation.

1968 r.

  • Starting exploitation in central part of mining area.
  • New Treatment Plant started its operation.


1972 r.

New Operation Dispatcher’s Centre and New Methanometry Dispatcher’s Centre (ROW type) started their operation.

1974 r.

  • The process of machines’ usage in all panels extraction was started.
  • 28th of June - explosion of methane – the result of which 34 miners died.

1975 r.

The metanometry dispatcher’s centre, type CTT63-40U, French production, started its operation.

1976 r.

  • Enlarging mining area to the Eastern direction (total area of 21,36 km2)
  • As a result of geological cross-sections’ analysis the opportunity of projecting the Mine „Deep Silesia” was outlined. It would base on resources of "rudzkie" (seam group 400) and "siodłowe" (seam group 500) layers, documented to level of 1300m. There is coal type 33 and 34.
  • In years 1976-1985 mining and auxiliary equipment was modernized, repairs and deepening the shafts, hoisting machines replacement, replacement of equipment in the Treatment Plant and construction of skips with capacity of 7,5t in shaft no. 2.

1977 r.

First powered support, chocks type, „Krab II”, was introduced experimentally.

1979 r.

  • First using of roadheader type “Alpina AM-50”
  • 30th of October – fire in the underground – the result of which 22 miners died.


1980 r.

Jan Dąbrowski became the Director of the mine.

1981 r.

Next powered supports and shearers with moving system „Poltrak II” were introduced. This made it possible to increase the production of smaller amount of the panels.

The new alter of St.Barbara, the patron of miners, was built and consecrated.

1982 r.

Józef Michałek became the Director of the mine.

1983 r.

In the main transport, on level IV, diesel solution was introduced.

1985 r.

A violent flood threatened to break the embankments of Vistula and Biała rivers. The inlets into shafts were reinforced up to 1,5m. Engineering works associated with moving the Biała river bed were started. 1,5km of river were moved by 800m in Eastern direction.

1987 r.

  • Start of the construction of ventilation shaft no 6 localed in Kaniów
  • Mine became the part of Jaworznicko-Mikołowskie Gwarectwo Węglowe

1989 r.

As a result of changes in the economy of state enterprises all investments started in 1985-1987 were stopped.


1990 r.

Zdzisław Adamaszek became the Director of the mine.

1991 r.

Andrzej Kiwic became the Director of the mine.

1992 r.

Start of the long-term program implementation connected with reducing the discharge of underground water into Vistula river – construction of first water dam on level I.

1994 r.

Silesia mine together with 7 other mines formed Nadwislańska Spółka Węglowa SA, headquartered in Tychy.

1996 r.

Construction of the second water dam on level IV was started.

1997 r.

  • There was a huge flood in the Southern Poland, the result of which Goczałkowice, localed at the mining area, was flooded. 40 buildings were covered with water. This time flood was not a threat to mine’s shafts.
  • Start of the program „protection of Vistula rivere against salinity – injection of saline water through deep holes from the surface” – construction, of research-injection hole Kozy MT-3 in cooperation with „Metanel”S.A. from Warsaw.

1998 r.

Jerzy Grzybek became the Director of the mine.

1999 r.

  • Exploitation in watered "łazieskie" layers (seam group 200) was stopped. Burden of production was moved onto less watered "orzeskie" layers (seam group 300), leading to a further reduction in the discharge of saline water into the Vistula river.
  • Jerzy Grzybek became the Director of the mine.

Twenty-first century+

2000 r.

  • Janusz Grudnik became the Director of the mine
  • New modernized, longwall set, with roof support type Glinik-08/22 Oz, with daily capacity of 3000 tones, was installed; modern roadheader, type AM-75, was installed.

2001 r.

  • Construction of reservoir in Kaniów was started.
  • Silesia Mine won 2nd price in competition called “Safe Mine”, for the years 1999-2001.

2002 r.

New longwall was equipped with high efficient longwall set, with support type Fazos-18/33 POz/P, with shearer KSW-500 and conveyor R-85, of daily capacity 4000-5000t, with simplified belt haulage of material.

2003 r.

  • Silesia Mine together with 23 mines from liquidated mining companies formed Kompania Węglowa SA, headquartered in Katowice.
  • Zbigniew Żyromski became the Director of the mine.
  • Works concerning the cunstruction of reservoir in Kaniów were continued.

2005 r.

Silesia mine was united with Brzeszcze mine, under the name of “Oddział KWK ‘Brzeszcze-Silesia’ Ruch II Silesia”; Director of united mines was Zenon Malina.


  • On 6th of October on level IV (461m) there was a spontaneous combustion which resulted in closure of some access excavations to Eastern part of mining area by fire field. None from the crew and rescue team was hurt.
  • Preparatory works for Silesia operation were stopped.

2007 r.

  • Together with the mines "Boleslaw Śmiały", "Piast", "Ziemowit", KWK "Brzeszcze-Silesia" came under the Management of Mining Centre „East” with headquarters in Lędziny. Grzegorz Żukowski became the Technical Director of the mine.
  • 1st tender for selling organized part of enterprise called KWK „Brzeszcze Silesia” Ruch II Silesia was launched.

2008 r.

  • Kazimierz Grzechnik became the Technical Director of the mine „Brzeszcze-Silesia”.
  • 2nd tender for selling organized part of enterprise called KWK “Brzeszcze Silesia” Ruch II Silesia was launched.

2009 r.

  • On 24th of June, due to catastrophic convective rainfall of approx. 103 mm/m2, within several hours water from the whole Czechowice-Dziedzice, through railway siding flooded the main part of the mine, covering it with a layer of 70 cm of water. The following buildings were water-logged: management building, canteen building, main hall (mark) building, sales, expedition and machinery building, rescue station and safety building, hoisting machine no 3 building, old change rooms building, gatehouse building and railway siding.
  • 3rd tender for selling organized part of enterprise called KWK „Brzeszcze Silesia” Ruch II Silesia was launched.
  • Employee-owned company Przedsiębiorstwo Górnicze “SILESIA” Sp. z o.o. was created in September; the main aim of the new company was to find strategic investor which would be able to buy the mine and save it from closing.

2010 r.

In 2010 there was a next huge flood in the Sothern part of Poland. Goczałkowice, Czechowice-Dziedzice and Kaniówek Dankowski from mining area of mine „Brzescze-Silesia” part Silesia were flooded. The flood did not threaten directly mine shafts, however indirectly by gradual increase of water level in ponds Dębina and Pław and by overflow of their water into Industrial Pond (Kopalniok), there was a real threat of flooding the main part of the mine and shafts.

Taking over the mine

On 9th of December 2010, in headquarters of Embassy of Czech Republic in Poland, in Warsaw, PG SILESIA and Kompania Węglowa S.A. signed a dispositive contract connected with selling organized part of enterprise called KWK “Brzeszcze-Silesia” Ruch II “Silesia”. As the result of signing abovementioned document, transaction was finalized and PG SILESIA completely took over all operations of Silesia Mine. Under the contract production license has been transferred from Kompania Węglowa S.A. to PG SILESIA. Transaction has been completed after almost 6 months from signing conditional sale contract in June 2010. First offer of purchasing Silesia Mine was submitted in October 2009. Before final taking over the mine, PG SILESIA conducted a Social Agreement with all (five) Trade Unions. Social Agreement guaranteed all 738 employees of Silesia Mine possibility of continuing the work and salary on, at least, the level as hitherto.